Friday, August 6, 2010

Homer, Alaska - Halibut Fishing

Today is the big day. We are going to fish for halibut. Homer is supposed to be the halibut fishing capital of the world. When we head out from the dock, it's like all the boats are in a race to get to the hot spots for halibut.


We get our instructions from the crew and we are ready to fish. Men have 4 pound weights on their lines. Women have 3 pound weights. It was raining when we first started to fish, but it stopped raining in about an hour.


In the first three places where we stopped to fish, all I caught where sharks. They were all calling me the shark lady. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to catch a halibut. But, Grant and I each caught about 7 halibut. The limit is 2 per day. Both of us caught our limit. The rest we threw back. They were all about 14 to 18 pounds each. Sometimes halibut are more than 200 pounds. Don't know how I'd reel one of those in. I had a really sore arm at the end of the day as it was.


The charter boat filleted the fish for us. Then they packed it, froze it, and Fedexed it to Kristin's house for us. We will have a lot of halibut to eat when we get home.


We plan to tour Homer on Saturday and head back to Solid Rock Bible Camp tomorrow night.


2 comments: